Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thursday Drawing @ Cafe Van Kleef, Oakland, ca.

 Drawing at Cafe Van Kleef, Downtown Oakland, ca.  The place is cluttered beyond belief with all sorts of fantastic kipple and decor.  They also had a hot jazz band to keep us boppin'. Dr Abacus! They played a hot version of the Sesame street theme.
In attendance were myself, Sebastian.  Jason Courtney, Dean Gustafson, Dvora Kline and her friend Katie.

More attempts at drawing the strange angle I had on the
band.  I'll have to try again sometime.
Looking out from below the stage at the south
side of the bar, which is a long skinny space.
Dr. Abacus, from way down below...



 Jason Courtney's great sketches, along with his comments on the evening: Here, the bar scene facing away from the stage.


Dvora's friend Katie.
 http://www.dr-abacus.com/tunes.html The jazz quintet! Uh, that is, two members of the quintet and leftover marti gras and new years decorations.

the cabaret singer, Alison Lovejoy. http://allisonlovejoy.com/
An appreciative audience. 
This guy came over and blocked my view as I was drawing the people above, so I expressed my annoyance by drawing him as uncharitably as possible. He didn't actually look quite so much like Freddy Krueger.
 The jazz band came back on after the singer and rocked the house and brought everybody out onto the dance floor. Except for me, and one other couple across the room. The guy seemed too absorbed in hisMacbook to notice there was music, and she seemed a little annoyed and bored with that. This is a collage of multiple pages of sketches to illustrate the scene.


More appreciative audience members from earlier, with some charming decor.

1 comment:

  1. I use Polychromos pencil #225 red... is that what you are drawing with?

    ReplyDelete